You may be able to claim reimbursement for certain expenses incurred in attending Court to give evidence. See instructions on how to claim below.
You should have received conduct money with your subpoena. This amount is automatically deducted from your claim.
Meal rates for overnight stays
Witnesses staying overnight are entitled to be reimbursed for meals up to the maximum amount per person of:
Claims take approximately 28 working days from the time we receive a valid claim from you. The money will be deposited into the bank account you nominate on the Witness Expenses Claim Form. Money claimed by your employer will be deposited into your employer’s bank account.
How to claim
- What you can claim as witness expenses depends on whether you are a local or interstate witness. See the ACT DPP Local Witness Fact Sheet or the ACT DPP Interstate Witness Fact Sheet for information on what you can claim. Witnesses who live in the ACT or within 60 kilometres of the ACT are local witnesses. Witnesses who live more than 60km from the ACT are interstate witnesses.
- Complete the Witness Expenses Claim Form. Make sure you complete the payment details on the form so that we can transfer the funds to you.
- You or your employer must complete one of the following Loss of Income Claim Forms depending upon your circumstances:
- If you did not receive your wages/salary which you would otherwise have been entitled to as a result of attending Court to give evidence, you must complete the Loss of Income Claim Form - Employee. A copy of your payslip must be attached.
- If you are self-employed and you lost income as a result of attending Court to give evidence you must complete the Loss of Income Claim Form – Self Employed. You must attach evidence of the income lost and details of the method used to calculate loss of income (eg ATO assessment showing income declared in the most recent financial year). If you are subpoenaed to give expert evidence, you will be paid according to the recommended fees for your particular professional group, where relevant. Please contact ACT DPP Corporate for further clarification.
- If your employer paid you wages or salary for the time you attended Court to give evidence, your employer must complete the Loss of Income Claim Form – Employer. A copy of your payslip must be attached. Your employer must complete the payment details on the form so that we can transfer the funds to your employer.
- Lodge your Witness Expenses Claim Form and your Loss of Income Claim Form and supporting documentation by either:
Posting it to:
ACT DPP Corporate Services
GPO Box 595
Canberra ACT 2601
Emailing it to:
- If you have any queries about your claim, please contact ACT DPP Corporate.